Wednesday, October 25, 2017


Sustainable Souls
October

This months theme of Sustainable Souls is "Deforestation and Environmental Degregation".
Nearly half of the Earth's original forest cover has already been lost.

I was recently driving down the road to visit my nephew and saw a huge clearing of trees that USED to be there.  They had cleared 10's of acres to build more apartment buildings.  It makes me so sad to see all of these trees that used to be there, now gone.  There should be a requirement for building companies to immediately plant trees in the surrounding areas to replace what they have destroyed.

In my project, I wanted to portray a landscape with the sky and ground with crackly dirt. I used some PearlEx, Primary Elements and Gelatos to color my background. To represent the trees, I adhered some branches and sticks.

My final project is below with some close-up images.






Here are some facts:
Forests cover 30% of the Earth's land.
It is estimated that within 100 years there will be no rainforests.
One and a half acres of forests are cut down every second.
The rate of deforestation equals the loss of 20 footballs fields every minute.
According to the Rainforest Action Network, the US has less than 5% of the world's population yet consumes more than 30% of the world's paper.
Soil erosion, floods, wildlife extinction, increase in global warming, and climate imbalances are a few of the effects of deforestation.
41 pounds of junk mail is sent to almost every adult in the US and 44% goes unopened.
On average, a person in the US uses more than 700 pounds of paper per year.
Be active and plant trees.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment