Tuesday, September 12, 2017


Mixed Media Moods Board

Happy September!  Bring on Fall!
Today's blog entry features a project that I created for the Mixed Media Moods Board Facebook group.  This fantastic group is lead by DeeDee Catron and Jenn Engle.  Each month they create a new Mood Board that usually has 6 images that inspire you to create any type of Art.  You can use 1, 2, or even all 6 images if you want.  I love these because it gives me a starting point of inspiration.
September was a beautiful display of Summer.


I started by pulling out an 8x10 canvas and added some golden tones of Lindy's Starburst sprays and Adirondack color spray and let it run down the canvas.

 
After this dried, I was drawn to the turquoise fish net on the board.  I remember I had saved a plastic netting tube that came on a bottle of wine, PERFECT!  I cut it in half and applied white spray gesso to both sides so that paint would stick. After this dried, I painted both sides with a turquoise colored paint.


The greenish teal images of the scales and jellyfish were gorgeous, so I pulled out some alcohol inks and dropped some green and blue colors on the canvas.  They weren't spreading as I liked so I grabbed the blending solution and dropped it over the inks.  That did the trick!  It was coming out a little bluer than the mood board, but I like it!  
The next images I wanted to use was the boardwalk and wooden images.  Awhile back I had saved some unused wooden coffee stir sticks and figured this would be the perfect time to give them a little color and use them on this piece.  I glued a few together and attached them to the canvas to act as a boardwalk.  Then I took the netting and screwed it onto the canvas and dyed the screws with alcohol ink.


I proceeded to go through my "nature" piles of supplies and pulled out some Coconut Fibers and attached some at the bottom with heavy gel.  I knew I was going to be adding some shells that I picked up in Hawaii, so what do shells need?  Sand!!  I grabbed my jar of Prima Mini Art Stones and added some to a small container with some heavy gel.  When it was a good consistency, I spread it above the Coconut Fibers with a pallet knife.


Once everything was dry, I dripped some amber colored alcohol ink over the Art Stones and blended the color with the Blending Solution.  Then I added a few sea shells and sea glass to finish it off.
I felt as if the "blobs" of blue needed some more drips so I added more alcohol ink and blending solution to get longer drips.  I really like how it came out.
Check out the final project and close-up images below.






Thank you for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment